Slow Cooker Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
Total Time: 3 hrs. 28 min.
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cooking Time: 3 hrs. 13 min.
Yield: 10 servings, about 1 cup each
In the name of easy meal prep, here is a great option to add to the weekly or bi-weekly rotation!!!
This house smells AMAZING when this dish is cooking. 😉- one of Jamie and my faves!
You’ll be glad that this recipe makes 10 hearty servings! It’s so good, you might want to eat the leftovers for breakfast (like I do 😜). It tastes amazing topped with a sunny side-up egg, or any egg! (Scrambled, egg cups, omelet, boiled eggs, use your imagination!)
🍃1 tsp. olive oil
🍃1 medium onion, chopped
🍃2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
🍃2 medium jalapenos, seeded and deveined, finely chopped
🍃1 lb. raw ground chicken breast
🍃1½ cups dry farro, rinsed we sometimes substitute quinoa ***
🍃1 (15-oz.) can black beans, rinsed, drained
🍃1 cup frozen corn
🍃1 (15-oz.) can diced fire roasted tomatoes (or diced tomatoes), no salt added
🍃1 cup water
🍃1 (10-oz.) can red enchilada sauce
🍃2 Tbsp. chili powder
🍃1 Tbsp. ground cumin
🍃2 tsp. ground coriander
🍃Sea salt (or Himalayan salt) and ground black pepper (to taste; optional)
🍃1 cup shredded jack (or cheddar or Mexican blend) cheese
🍃3 medium green onions, chopped
🍃¼ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
1. Heat oil in medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Add onion; cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until onion is soft.
3. Add garlic and jalapeño; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 to 2 minutes, or until jalapenos are soft.
4. Add chicken; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 to 6 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
5. Place chicken mixture, farro, beans, corn, tomatoes, water, enchilada sauce, chili powder, cumin, and coriander in a 3-quart slow cooker; mix well and cover. Cook on high for 3 hours, or until liquid has been absorbed, and farro is tender.
6. Remove lid and stir mixture. Season with salt and pepper if desired. Add cheese; mix well. Cover until cheese has melted.
7. Top with green onions and cilantro.
P.S. 1Kids also love in a wrap or taco shell!
Xo K & J