Conventional wisdom tells us that morning work outs are THE BOMB. I bet you’ve heard this a million times, right? It took some convincing to get me out of bed and into my sneakers every day at 5am and face 30 minutes of hard physical exercise. I LOVE sleep!
Some days, yep, I roll back under the covers for some extra rest, if that’s what my body truly needs. But most days, I’m up with Jamie to tackle the morning workout, because I know that ultimately, it’s wickedly good for my body and soul!
So why, exactly, are morning workouts so good for us? Turns out, there’s a lot more to the early morning sweat session than you might think!
Here are a bunch of very good reasons you should give rise ‘n shine exercise a try:
- No matter what else happens that day, you’ve already accomplished something major! Just think about the power of this for a second. Even if you get nothing else done that day, you took care of yourself first!
- Your hormones are with you on this one. Overnight, your body tops up its levels of hormones, including cortisol, adrenaline and testosterone. This means two things:
- By working out in the morning, you’re taking advantage of your body’s highest levels of energy boosting hormones, which decline throughout the day.
- When you exercise first thing, you increase your ability to handle stress! When we wake up, our levels of the stress hormones, adrenaline and cortisol, are topped right up to the max. What does that mean? Well, it means it doesn’t take much to make us cranky in the morning! Ever notice how easily the littles get grumpy on busy school mornings? Or how quickly you can lose your temper as you struggle to rush your family out the door on time every day? Try 15 minutes of hard exercise first thing and see how much calmer you feel! The morning workout burns off some of those excess stress hormones, which makes it easier for you to face the day with patience and grace. Bonus points if you can bring your littles on board with a little morning exercise, too!
- Morning workouts boost metabolism and allow your body to use food efficiently for the rest of the day. After you work out, your body uses more calories for the rest of the day than if you hadn’t exercised. Also, post-workout, your body uses the food you eat to replenish itself and provide energy, instead of storing calories as fat. Do this on a daily a basis, and you’ve got a body that runs as efficiently as possible. Okay, wow. That’s cool. Right?!
- Exercise wakes up the brain like no cup of coffee ever could. Don’t worry–I don’t advocate giving up your morning java!! (Are you kidding?! I need my morning hot bevvy.) But there’s nothing like some intense, physical activity to fire up the brain first thing in the morning! And you know what? The increased mental clarity lasts all day.
- Your self-esteem gets a morning boost, too! When you start your day with a workout, you just stand a little taller all day long. Everything’s invigorated, your mind is awake, those endorphins are pumping, your clothes feel better, your muscles feel toned and sleek and strong, and you just feel freaking awesome about yourself!
So do I have you convinced yet? You could start each day groggy, grumpy and overwhelmed by the tasks that face you. Or, you could start your day euphoric! Why not give it a try and see for yourself?
XO J & K